Crime
Ravens Star Faces Shocking Domestic Violence Charges — Team Stayed Silent for Months
Liberty Check
- Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Rashod Bateman faces three domestic violence charges after allegedly attacking his ex-girlfriend’s car while their infant was inside
- The June incident remained hidden from public view until this week, raising questions about whether the Ravens knew and allowed him to practice anyway
- The NFL continues to face a wave of domestic violence cases this offseason, yet enforcement and transparency remain inconsistent
Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Rashod Bateman turned himself in to police and now faces three domestic violence charges in connection to a June incident in which he allegedly attacked his ex-girlfriend’s car while she had their newborn baby on board.
The details of the incident remain troubling. Court documents say the player entering his sixth NFL season allegedly smashed the glass of his girlfriend’s car while their three-month-old child was inside.
The victim told police that Bateman used a blunt object to break the windshield and driver’s side windows of her 2021 Mercedes-Benz. When the glass shattered, it allegedly caused multiple small lacerations and contusions to her face. The couple’s child was sitting in a baby seat in the back row.
Bateman, 26, was charged with battery-family violence, reckless conduct and first-degree criminal damage to property. He turned himself in to police immediately following the incident.
Here’s where it gets interesting: The incident was not public until this week. The Ravens then released a carefully worded statement about their starting wide receiver.
“We are aware of the situation involving Rashod and have been in direct communication with him. We notified the league office and have been cooperating throughout the process. As this is a pending legal matter, we will not have further comment.”
It is unclear at what point the Ravens became aware of this incident. It happened on June 3. The Ravens opened their 2026 training camp the last week of July, with the first day of practice coming on July 29.
Bateman was present and has remained so since then. Indeed, Baltimore quarterback Lamar Jackson told reporters he was happy to have one of the team’s top receivers “back on the field.”
So the question is: Did Bateman keep the arrest secret as he was with the team at the opening of camp last month, or did the club know and simply let him practice as if no legal matter was pending? The Ravens aren’t saying.
Bateman in June 2025 signed a three-year, $36.75 million contract with Baltimore that includes $20 million in guaranteed money.
Bateman originally was told to have no contact with his baby’s mother. But later he asked the court to remove the no-contact order when the mother agreed. The court signed off on the request, though Bateman was ordered to complete a training class aimed at preventing violent contact.
The NFL has had a considerable number of domestic violence incidents, arrests and court hearings during the 2026 offseason. The league’s track record on enforcement and transparency in these cases continues to raise concerns among those who believe in accountability and the rule of law.
Bateman’s legal team released a statement that reads in part:
“We will let the process play out and the facts will come out at that time.”
Americans deserve better.