Should the US Shoot Down Foreign Objects in Our Airspace?
Here’s the Scoop
Since Feb. 4, the U.S. has shot down four unidentified aerial objects flying over North American airspace.
The first object was identified by the Pentagon as a “Chinese surveillance balloon.” The origins of the other three objects are not known at this time.
Senators were briefed by top military and intelligence officials on the matter on Tuesday. The briefing was classified, but lawmakers spoke with the media after to provide some insight as to what they learned.
“It’s clear to me this is not a recent phenomenon,” Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) told reporters, adding that “this has been going on” since at least 2017. The only difference is that the U.S. has started shooting the objects down.
Kennedy said that officials so far haven’t been able to find the remnants of the other three unidentified objects.
Calling for more transparency from the Biden administration, he said: “If you are confused, you understand the situation perfectly.”
What do you think? Let us know by participating in our poll!